Reflections on Online Sacraments
Both before and after the onset of COVID-19, Christian congregations around the world have been exploring the prospects and constraints involved in engaging the Lord's Supper/Eucharist and baptism online--inviting participation either through watching a celebration or participating as a communicant, prayer leader, baptismal sponsor, or in some other way.
The following resources, which primarily focus on the Lord's Supper/Eucharist, provide an introduction to how these conversations unfold in various Christian traditions.
- Chris Ganski and Benj Petroelje (Christian Reformed)
- Dirk Lange (Lutheran)
- Andrew McGowan (Episcopal)
- Office of the General Assembly (PCUSA)
- Jonathan Warren Pagán (Anglican)
- Carolyn Pirtle (Roman Catholic)
- Fr. Jim Sabak, OFM (Roman Catholic)
- Kathy Smith (Christian Reformed)
- Mark Stamm (Methodist)
- Deanna A. Thompson (ELCA)
- United Methodist Church
- Cynthia Wilson, Derek Weber, and Diana Sanchez-Bushong (Methodist)