- Joyce Borger
- Faith Alive, 2008
- Music and Congregational Singing
This collection of songs, which quote or paraphrase texts of the New Testament, is a resource for those who desire to put Scripture in the mouths, minds, and hearts of God’s people, whether those people gather in small groups, in choirs, or as a congregation. Just as various Scripture passages can be used as prayer, praise, lament, or teaching, so can these songs. You may choose to use them in various parts of the worship service, making the connection between Scripture, preaching, and song, thus enabling your congregants to dwell more fully with Scripture itself.
This collection includes:
- a wide range of styles and time periods with many of the texts and tunes in public domain and others covered by basic copyright licenses that churches can purchase
- tunes that are familiar or very accessible
- full accompaniments and guitar chords for all the music, including some additional arrangements for some tunes and percussion suggestions where appropriate
- short notes providing usage and musical suggestions for most songs.
Most of the texts from the Revised Common Lectionary are covered, and notes on the songs are included in the back of the songbook. An important resource for worship planners and pastors—and a great addition to any choral repertoire!