Ascension Resource Guide
This list of Ascension Day resources, including songs, reflections, visual arts, and readings, will help you plan worship for Ascension Day, traditionally celebrated 40 days after Easter. Ascension Day worship services celebrate Jesus Christ ascending into heaven after giving his disciples the Great Commission.
Ascension II © Jan Richardson. janrichardson.com
Ascension Day Worship
Ascension Day is the crowning event of the ministry of our Lord. On the fortieth day after Easter, Jesus went to the Mount of Olives with his disciples and ascended to heaven before their eyes (Acts 1:1-12).
The ascension of Christ is filled with theological significance. Christ’s ascension means that in heaven there is one who, knowing firsthand the experience of suffering and temptation, prays for us and perfects our prayers. His ascension is a witness and guarantee of our own bodily resurrection, as well as an invitation for us to set our hearts and minds “on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God” (Col. 3:1-2) to rule over all things in heaven and throughout the universe (Eph. 1:10, 20-23). Finally, the ascension of Jesus serves as the prelude to Pentecost, when the power of the risen Christ came upon all believers through the Holy Spirit.
Some churches observe Ascension Day with a service on that Thursday. Others observe Jesus’ ascension on the preceding or following Sunday. As during the celebration of Easter, the liturgical colors are white and gold.
(adapted from The Worship Sourcebook)
Story about Reclaiming the Promise of Ascension
Planning Resources and Services
- It's a Good Thing He Left-John 16
- The Ascension of Christ-Revelation 1
- The Chapter of an Enthroned Lord-Psalm 2
- Series for the Season of Ascension & Pentecost
- Weekday Chapel: Jesus Enthroned on High
- Ascension Day Opening Worship
- Meeting the Crowning Event of the Church Year
- Songs for Ascension
- Seasonal Planning After Easter
- Dramatic Reading from RW
- A Face Like This One: The Significance of the Doctrine of Ascension
- Songs for Ascension
- Songs for Ascension: Looking Beyond Your Hymnal
- Resources from Hymnary Lectionary
Visual Arts Resources
Meditations and Devotions
- Read about Christ's Ascension in Coop's Column.
The Worship Sourcebook
- Part O of The Worship Sourcebook Second Edition, pp. 661-678, offers sample prayers and other worship resources for each act of worship celebrating Christ’s Ascension; Part P of The Worship Sourcebook Second Edition, pp. 679-691, focuses on Christ the King. These resources include suggestions for the Call to Worship, Opening Responses, Confession and Assurance, Prayers for Illumination, the Lord's Supper, and Blessing/Benediction.
Reformed Worship magazine
- Browse all Ascension Day resources from our ministry partner, Reformed Worship.
Center for Excellence in Preaching
- Browse resources related to the Ascension from our ministry partner, Center for Excellence in Preaching.