Faithful Anti-Racism Leadership Development Cohorts - August 2021
Apply now for an August 2021 online, facilitator-led cohort in which participants reflect on their cultural context and develop context-specific ways of promoting cross-cultural learning and faithful anti-racism initiatives.
Monday, August 9 - Tuesday, August 31, 2021
This is an application-based cohort program facilitated by Dr. Christina Edmondson.
Dates and Application
We are launching learning cohorts for the months of
Days of engagement
The application includes the following fields:
- Contact information for person and organization
- Describe cultural context
- Describe past learning about anti-racism
- List personal goals for participating in this program (in light of program objectives noted below)
Participants will be contacted once admitted to a cohort and asked to sign a covenant of participation related to the objectives of the program. The cohort will have an online orientation meeting on the first day of engagement.
These cohorts are designed for
- pastors, staff members, lay leaders and elder/trustee boards from congregations,
- staff and faculty members at Christian educational institutions, including primary schools, secondary schools, colleges and universities, seminaries and divinity schools,
- leaders, board members, and staff of Christian non-profit organizations, and
- all persons in any of these contexts responsible for the worship-related ministries within these congregations, schools, or non-profit organizations.
We welcome both individuals and groups from an institution to apply. Both individuals and groups may participate more than once. These cohorts are fitting for individuals and institutions who have taken a prior course on anti-racism or studied materials related to anti-racism and are eager for collaborative support in their continuing work in this life-long calling.
Please note: It works best to not sign up in the same month for both the Faithful Anti-Racism course and the cohort program.
Program Design and Facilitator
These cohorts will be facilitated by Dr. Christina Edmondson and connect online through a password-protected, online learning platform that includes a discussion board and links to instruction materials (video, audio, and text).
Cohort participants will commit to engage in the following ways:
- convene online the first Monday of the month and conclude usually on the final workday within the month,
- learn from each other as participants share the needs and opportunities in their own contexts,
- join in a mix of synchronous (Zoom calls, coaching conversations) and asynchronous (discussion boards, readings) activities,
- engage cohort-related readings, videos, and posted discussions for 20-25 hours over the course of the month (or about 45-60 minutes per workday),
- receive coaching and encouragement related to work on their own contextual needs and challenges,
- exercise their own agency in choosing specific needs, challenges, or opportunities to address,
- participate in a concurrent research study by completing a survey and/or interviews about their work, and
- explore aspects of their own organization’s context, programming, and culture, including devotional and liturgical practices of gathered worship, prayer, and engagement with scripture.
1. Is there a cost?
No, during this pilot season, the program is offered at no cost.
2. Is there a course taught online with a similar title?
Yes, we are pleased to support two distinct, independent ways to pursue learning and growth related to anti-racism.
Begin with a foundational "faithful anti-racism course" through Calvin Theological Seminary and taught by Christina Edmondson which is designed for both life-long learners and those seeking graduate course credit. See the course description.
Continue with this peer-learning "faithful anti-racism cohort" application-based program through the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship that will help you work alongside others as you work on plans for your own community or organization.
Questions may be emailed to email@example.com.