Christian Witness and Ministry in a COVID-Shaped World
Three-week, relevant courses taught by some of the best Christian thinkers. These collaborative, online classes are for lifelong learners, university, and seminary students.
Monday, June 1 - Monday, July 13, 2020
virtual event (attend online)
The Calvin Institute of Christian Worship is pleased to promote a robust list of timely online summer courses on how Christians in every area of society and ministry can faithfully respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic. They are offered through Calvin University and Calvin Theological Seminary—our institutional homes.
We have heard from people who have expressed interest in learning together in community with a trusted guide in order to discern faithful Christian responses to the COVID-19 crisis in a sustained, flexible format. These three-week, participatory courses are offered in sessions that begin on June 1, June 22, and July 15, 2020.
Audiences for these classes include
- current university or seminary students at any institution seeking academic credit,
- persons in any profession seeking continuing education credit, and
- life-long learners anywhere in the world.
List of courses:
- Archaeology, History, Disasters, and Plagues
- Children, Family, Intergenerational Ministries
- Christian Responses to Pandemics in Historical Perspective
- Creation's Sabbath
- Crisis Communication Practices
- Embodied Discipleship in a World That Has Gone Virtual
- Engaging Congregations about Faith and Finance Amidst Economic Crisis
- Faithful Anti-Racism in a Time of Pandemic
- Mental Health, Trauma, and Pastoral Care
- Missional Engagement with Local Communities
- Organizational Decision Making and Leadership
- Pensar la fe en un mundo configurado por el COVID: Perspectivas teológicas
- Perspectives on Faith and Citizenship
- Play and Sport in a Time of Pandemic
- Practicing Mindfulness in a Time of Pandemic
- Praying, Singing, and Humming the Psalms in Worship, Work, Pastoral Care and Ministries of Public Witness
- Religion, Behavior, and Public Health
- Ser comunidad en un mundo configurado por el COVID: Perspectivas bíblicas
- Ser iglesia en un mundo configurado por el COVID: Perspectivas ministeriales
- The Challenge of Technology and Christian Education
- The Changing Dynamics of Life for Generations X, Y, and Z
- The Changing Shape of Incarceration and Restorative Justice
- Using Communication Media for Ministry
Courses will feature a mix of on-line lectures, interviews with leading experts, discussions with fellow learners, and interactions with faculty. Each course is offered asynchronously; you can engage with course materials when convenient for you. None have required prerequisites.