Organ Clinic: The Art of Improvisation and Leading Congregational Song with John Ferguson
This week-long clinic is designed for both experienced organists and those who want to watch and learn.
This week-long clinic taught by John Ferguson and held at Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI, is designed for both experienced organists and those who want to watch and learn. The workshop begins on Monday, July 22 at 3:00 pm with brief opening worship and a plenary address and concludes on Friday, July 26 by noon. The basic schedule for Tuesday-Thursday includes
- Morning prayer led by Cornelius Plantinga, Jr.
- Plenary discussion for the day led by John Ferguson
- Tiered teaching and practice sessions
- Each participant will receive a copy of the new hymnal Lift Up Your Hearts: Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, and much of the teaching will be applicable to use with this new hymnal.
- Thursday evening (July 25) Hymn Festival in the Calvin College Chapel at 7:00PM with song selections from the new hymnal. Hymn Festival is free and open to the public.
John A. Ferguson is the Elliot & Klara Stockdal Johnson professor of organ & church music (emeritus) at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN.
Cornelius Plantinga, Jr. is Senior Research Fellow at the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship and president emeritus of Calvin Theological Seminary.
Hosted by Norma de Waal Malefyt, resource development specialist for congregational song at the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship.
Full Playing Participants:
Enhance your learning playing, practicing, and receiving feedback through critique sessions during the clinic.
$350 - includes Monday dinner; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday lunch; and Thursday dinner; all on campus.
$125 - Full-time student rate, includes Monday dinner; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday lunch; and Thursday dinner; all on campus
Non-playing participants are able to listen and learn through morning and afternoon Chapel sessions, but not participate in any playing/practice or critique.
$125 - includes Monday dinner; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday lunch; and Thursday dinner; all on campus.
ALL registrants are responsible for finding their own lodging. One option is the on-campus hotel Prince Conference Center. A room block has been set up ($77 per night). Contact Prince Conference Center directly.
From Mon. July 22, 2013 at 12:00PM to Fri. July 26, 2013 at 12:00PM
Grand Rapids, MI